VOA|ReST 4 First Responders
VOA|ReST 4 First Responders
First Responders Supporting First Responders: Free Confidential Group Conversations for First Responder Resilience. VOA|ReST 4 First Responders are peer-to-peer small group support sessions designed to help First Responders process feelings of moral discomfort and distress while reclaiming strength and commitment to their profession. VOA|ReST 4 First Responders offers a virtual place for First Responders to speak openly and honestly with peers about the challenges and impact of their work. Group sessions are welcoming to all First Responders across the United States seeking to connect in a trusted environment with other First Responders. Anything shared within the group remains confidential allowing everyone an opportunity to speak freely without fear of judgment or repercussions. Peers have the opportunity to bring their real selves – no need to be tough, no need to hide emotions.
VOA|ReST 4 First Responders are confidential, small group support sessions that maintain and build emotional resilience by offering:
• A unique space to share your experiences with other First Responders while remaining committed to your work.
• Time set aside for you to speak honestly with peers and trained facilitators who know what you go through as a First Responder.
• A service that can complement other resources your agency might offer. Online meetings are available in the comfort of your home, on an ongoing basis, whenever you need support.
When continuously faced with extraordinary circumstances, it is common for First Responders to be left emotionally depleted. Fatigue, isolation, sorrow, frustration, guilt, anxiety, and a sense of inadequacy or failure can be signs of moral dilemma, uncertainty, or distress.
Responding to these feelings paves the way for personal and professional resilience. Talking and listening can make a world of difference. First Responders who engage in peer-led group support are able to rebuild the strength needed to continue their important work without losing sight of their individual self-worth.
Given the demands of your career, it is important to process moral distress. You alone can make that commitment, but you don't have to do it alone.
Sessions are Safe, Interactive, and Judgment-Free
• Peer-to-peer conversations are confidential and off-the-record so you can speak openly.
• Each session is an opportunity to bring your real self.
• First Responder peers and peer facilitators have walked in your shoes. They get it.
For more than 125 years, Volunteers of America has been providing behavioral health, addiction treatment, and housing resources to military veterans. Our services are integrated with deep compassion and belief in a person’s capacity to overcome adversity. From this history, and using the techniques developed in our evidence-based, peer support program for veterans called Resilience Strength Training™, VOA|ReST was developed. Over 82% of participants report feeling significantly calmer and more peaceful after a meeting.
Sessions are free thanks to a generous grant from the HCA Healthcare foundation.
Your work is important. You are important. Take time to ReST.